Testing for mold in the home can help you identify hidden mold, measure the air quality in your home and also help you identify what types of mold are in the house.
Types of Mold Test
This kind of test for mold involves collecting various materials in the home .it is then taken to the laboratory for observation under the microscope for mold. Bulk testing can inform you if you have problems with mold and can tell on the concentration of mold particles in your home. This makes it easier to clear them off in large quantities.
This kind of test helps you identify the growth of mold even though there is no visible growth. The growth of molds in the air is rapid and changes the results drastically.
Surface testing involves swabbing surfaces around the house, tape lifting and other methods of sample collection from the surfaces. This method of testing can tell you the amount of mold growing by looking at the deposits of spores on the surfaces. The collected specimen is then taken for laboratory testing.
Reasons for Mold Testing
- Health effects- some molds produce mycotoxins that are harmful to human and animal health .some can cause breathing problems, others neurological problems and some can cause death.
- The condition of growth –molds grows favorably in wet places. These are mostly in wet ceilings, wet walls, and even wet floors. It can also grow in damp clothes.
- Sampling- mold inspection and testing is done for sampling or collection of different samples for laboratory tests. This helps in research for their strains and how harmful they can be.
- Indoor air quality- testing of molds also help you know how clean the air you breathe in and out in your house.it is can also give a hint on any strange symptoms that you might be currently showing.
Professional Testing of Mold
Mold testing at home can sometimes give wrong results. A professional mold tester can be best for accurate results.
Mold Testing Kit
If you have no problem with testing mold personally, test kits can be the best to use since they are comfortable and affordable.
How to prevent mold growth
- Prevention of moisture from surfaces and carpets will be an ideal measure in preventing mold growth.
- Check on water leakages from pipes within the home. This will inhibit the growth of molds in the homestead.
- Ensure wet clothes are taken to the sunlight to dry t prevent condensation in the house.
- Ensure there are no close places around the house since it can encourage mold growth in the house.
- Sunlight is the best remedy for killing molds. If possible use translucent roof on wet areas in the house such as the bathrooms an laundry rooms.
- During cleaning, use disinfectants that inhibit mold growth. Use such disinfectants on all surfaces while cleaning the house.
- Molds grow in humid and warm areas. If possible, wet areas should not be warm and humid because this will encourage the growth of molds.